Payconiq is a payment company that is currently growing a strong presence in the BENELUX region with big goals to expand across Europe.
We’re a 110 person fintech scaleup with 40 nationalities who works together on a daily basis to become a trusted partner and lead in smart processing and payment solutions across Europe.
Payconiq Services is looking for a talented Legal Counsel with solid financial regulatory, technology and data protection background to join our Legal team in Amsterdam. This is an opportunity to work within a Fintech operating in the Benelux, covering the latest payment services developments.
The mission of our legal team is to exceed expectations, committed to excellent performance serving our internal clients by providing pragmatic and commercially focused advice becoming trusted advisers to our colleagues in Payconiq and all our stakeholders. In this role, you will be reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel.
As Legal Counsel, you will work closely with all business areas and take a collaborative approach to solve complex legal challenges to support our European expansion, strategic business objectives and core business operations. In order for a candidate to be successful in this role, you must be able to demonstrate the ability to operate with agility and accuracy within a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment and have working knowledge of PDSII, EU Financial Regulations (particularly surrounding payments) GDPR, technology.
The successful candidate should be a self-starter able to manage a busy workload with minimal supervision, demonstrating excellent critical judgement, quick thinking and agility.
What you will do:
- This role is based in Amsterdam within the Legal team, where you will engage with partners in Luxembourg and Belgium.
- You will advise on a wide range of legal issues, including European payments regulation and technology services.
- You will regularly provide sound, straightforward, and commercially relevant legal advice to stakeholders and provide input on applicable internal policies, processes, and compliance matters.
- You will often be the sole lawyer advising the business and will be expected to act autonomously and take ownership of matters.
- Identify legal issues proactively, finding solutions to unique and complex issues that allow Payconiq to operate within the relevant regulatory regime and risk appetite.
- Draft, review, and negotiate various agreements, including LSA and MSA agreements, partner and reseller contracts and other general B2B commercial contracts, and NDA's.
- You will monitor new legal and regulatory developments and consider their impact on Payconiq.com
- You will research various multijurisdictional issues.
- Assisting in IP matters.
- Partner with the DPO in advising on various data protection and security matters, including negotiating and supporting the drafting of privacy related documents.
- Hold a Master’s degree in law from a highly regarded European or UK University with 5-7 years of working experience gained in private practice or in-house.
- Ability to work and maintain a strong working relationship with international colleagues and customers.
- Team player excited to advise our internal stakeholders in building the future of payments.
- You're business-savvy, a strategic thinker and a keen problem-solver who knows how to assess risk and recommend a risk-based solution quickly.
- You have excellent drafting and communication skills which means you can communicate complex legal issues to internal stakeholders outside of the legal team in a simple and clear manner.
- Sound judgment, composure under pressure and a collaborative mindset.
- Expertise in EU financial regulations and technology Agreements.
- You're comfortable handling a wide range of legal issues outside your core areas of expertise.
- Previous corporate commercial experience gained within a regulated entity, payments, technology and/or bank experience.
- Working knowledge of EU financial regulation ( PSDII, EU AMLD's, EDPB Guidelines and GDPR).
- Fluent written and verbal English language skills at a professional level required.
Nice to have:
- Experience working in various jurisdictions and on a variety of cross-border matters.
- Additional language skills, French and Dutch in particular.
If you like what you’ve read, feel free to apply and let’s get the conversation started.
Not sold just yet? Have a peek at some nice perks
- Free fruit, tostis, coffee and tea at the office
- Hardware to do your job well
- Friday drinks and snacks
- When possible, summer boat party, end of the year holiday party, and more
- + Check out our videos on the career page to get to know our culture
How the hiring process will look like:
2-3 interviews with: HR, colleagues and Hiring Manager